I know, going out of your way is time consuming. But there really are certain foods that a trip to the local Farmer’s Market is a great idea. More often than not, you will find superior products at competitive prices. Why settle for the piece of fruit with the least amount of bruises at the local grocery store where there are a bunch of beautiful and healthy alternatives?!
Take the kids for the ride. Focus on these:
* Watercress. It looks like a leafy, green something you would put into a salad. It has as much calcium as a glass of milk and more Vitamin C than an orange. It is also loaded with Vitamins A, B and K. Plus magnesium and iron. You usually find it April to around the end of December.
* Butternut Squash. It is the “usual” squash shape but typically a little thicker. This type of squash helps your body combat free radical damage to your cells, reduces various cancer risk factors, keeps the skeletal system strong and is a great anti-aging substance for the eyes. September to March is the time period to find it.
* Kale. Dark green, long leaves. Usually curly edges. Ready for this one? 1 cup of boiled kale contains over 1200% of the requirement for Vitamin K. Vitamin K has been shown to reduce risks of developing cancer. It is also THE key element for clotting of blood, bone health and overall improvement in immunity. You find it January to April.
* Heirloom Tomato. It is a larger than normal tomato, with a strange, somewhat disproportional shape. They are packed with lycopene – one of the best substances to prevent breast cancer (along with a ton of other health promoting qualities). It improve immunity and reduces risk of cardiovascular disease. Also they are high in Vitamins A, E and C. Best found in June to September.
* Lycee. My personal favorite! it is a small, dull reddish, spiny fruit. Absolutely delicious for starters, this fruit reduces risk of stroke and heart attacks, prevents blood clots and reducing aging of the skin. Studies have also shown lycee to be higher in beta carotine compared to carrots. Found in the summer months.
* And lastly. . . . . Purple Sprouting Broccoli. It looks exactly the way you picture it to look by the name. It is one of THE best cancer fighters in the world. Helps reduce risk of breast, uterine, prostate, lung, liver, kidney and colon cancers. (Told you it was that good!). The odd thing is that this type is about 50 times more potent compared to the full sized plant. Found in April to August.
There certainly are many more substances that you can find at various Farmer’s Markets but these are the Big 6.
Go out of your way. Great things happen when you do.
David is a Nutritional and Alternative Medicine Expert, Educator and Entrepreneur. As an Acupuncture Physician and Master Herbalist, he has created the best selling anti aging formula, Doc Wellness Supplement and the online school - Dr. Orman's Wellness School.