Today’s area of focus is the connection between computer usage and your health. Some 100 million people use computers on a daily basis. If not used correctly, that useful tool could become a major health risk.
For example, according to the OSHA, about 90% of people who use computers for 3 hours or more per day suffer from a syndrome called CVS or Computer Vision Syndrome. This is a condition can not only affect performance at work, but the overall quality of living as well.
Along with vision problems, the effects of this syndrome are often depression, migraines, changes in the way we see colors, dry or irritated eyes, double vision and a slow deterioration of vision. The most common is carpal tunnel syndrome, a painful condition that can affect a person’s ability to use their hands in common situations. Some recent studies suggest that 1 of every 3 workers lost some time at work because of this problem. Now the good news. Most if not all of the aforementioned can be prevented or at least significantly reduced. Here are the suggestions:
1. Look at your computer equipment. If monitor(s) are outdated, consider replacing it/them.
2. Along with this, take a look at your computer’s graphic card. Old standards used 26 color cards. Today’s standards are 16.7 million colors.
3. Consider one of the specially designed computer lamps that omit glare free indirect lighting.
4. Be sure that your copy and your screen are BELOW eye level.
5. Take multiple breaks – at least 3-5 minutes per hour. Nutritionally, take advantage of the herb Fructus Lycii. It is an outstanding herb for improvement in and maintenance of the eyes. In addition, this pleasant tasting herb improves the qualtiy of blood and the overall health of the liver. In addition to Fructus Lycii, zinc is a must. Standard dose is 50mg per day and it is best to take alone. Zinc does not “mix” well with other nutrition.
Be sure zinc is in chelated form, as minerals are difficult to absorb. Chelated (pronounced “key-lay-ted”) is the ideal form.
David is a Nutritional and Alternative Medicine Expert, Educator and Entrepreneur. As an Acupuncture Physician and Master Herbalist, he has created the best selling anti aging formula, Doc Wellness Supplement and the online school – Dr. Orman’s Wellness School.