When you think of hype and “over the top” promotion, usually pharmaceuticals come to mind. However, supplements are not immune. While there are some that I do not recommend because quite frankly, they do not work or work well, those listed below can be dangerous.
Here are 5 that despite the press, should be avoided.
- Colloidal silver has been suggested as an alternative to antibiotics and a cancer preventive. Its origins are from the days when royalty would drink from silver cups and was said to be healthier, the reasons have more to do with sanitation and quality of food versus silver. The short and sweet of it is is that the human body. Short-term use can cause skin discoloration and long-term use can produce neurological problems, kidney damage and fatigue.
- Yohimbe. Having taken it once, I thought I was having a heart attack. It is a horrible substance. Yohime comes from the bark of an African tree and is claimed to be used for fat loss, increased energy and was the original “viagra.” In my experience with patients and the aforementioned incident, it does not do anything for fat loss or energy. Plus the side effects are just not worth it.
- Aconite is the coldest and one of the most poisonous plants in the entire Materia Medica. It is used to treat arthritis, inflammation and migraine headaches. Again, with the potential side effects AND the fact there are much healthier and safer alternatives, it is just not worth it.
- Country Mallow. Sounds like a harmless herb you would find in the south. However, it contains ephedrine, a potentially dangerous stimulant banned by the FDA. Same story here — safer, better alternative make this herb useless.
- Germanium. In the 90s, this substance was the “rising, new star” for immune problems. It is a trace element used to make devices. It was claimed to be the end of cancer. No more comments needed here.
As you can see, there is a specific theme with the aforementioned. There are safer and more effective treatments for all of the above.
See advice before even considering substance such as these and others. Order a Virtual Doc Wellness Visit. For a small fee, this can save a great deal of pain, time and money in the long run.