It is an American staple. In fact, it is one of the most popular substances worldwide. You often read the labels which state that it is “all natural” or “nutrient enhanced.” One big question. Is it healthy for you?
Unfortunately, there have been so many (unnecessary) ingredients added to bread that it has become a major problem in terms of both excessive consumption and the end result it has on your system.
Case in point:
- Enriched bleached wheat flour. Enriched means that the bran and germ portion of the wheat have been removed. The end result is the least nutritious and mostly fattening portion of the wheat.
- High fructose corn syrup. You probably know the dangers of this one but just in case. HFCS is one of the most fattening substances on the planet. It is a genetically modified sweet syrup associated with the skyrocketing levels of diabetes, obesity, tooth decay and hyperactivity.
- Dough conditioners. This causes mineral deficiencies. It is also what gives yoga mats their texture. (Yes you did read this correctly.)
- Sodium steroyl lactylate. Contributors to high blood pressure, kidney problems and bloating.
- Ammonium sulfate. Causes mouth ulcers, nausea and liver problems.
- Brown sugar. Sugar is sugar and brown sugar is sugar with color added.
- Partially hydrated soybean oil. Associated with obesity, heart disease, breast and colon cancer and heart problems.
So, does this mean I could never eat bread again? No. It means it should be enjoyed as a treat, not as a regular part of one’s diet.